There are over 168,000 registered charities in England and Wales, each one requiring a committee. Good governance is essential for all voluntary and community organisations, ensuring that legal requirements are met and to provide the organisation with direction and focus.
The role of each individual may vary depending on the size and nature of the organisation. All committee members must uphold the values and objectives of the organisation and act with integrity.
This course is aimed at current and potential committee members/trustees within the voluntary and community sector. The skills and understanding developed will ensure your board functions effectively and efficiently.
This course contains the following modules:
- The purpose of a committee - In this module you will look at management committees, registered charities, becoming a charity and committee members roles.
- Functions of a committee - In this module you will look at types and functions of a committee, managing risk and financial planning.
- Key features of a constitution - In this module you will look at governing documents and legal status, key features of a constitution, powers and dissolution.
- Effective skills for committee members - In this module you will look at the skills required by committee members.
- Organising a meeting - In this module you will look at preparation needed for meetings, barriers to participation, meeting processes and setting the agenda.
- Preparing and drafting minutes - In this module you will look at minute templates, when minutes are used, seating plans, benefits and summarising discussions.
- Decision making - In this module you will look at accountability, conflicts of interest, decision making, managing behaviour, questioning techniques and managing conflict.
- Understand different forms of communication - In this module you will look at how we communicate, body language, tone of voice, words, effective communication, social media and communicating decisions.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
All of our courses are certified. This is done by the CPD certification Service. They have been inspected by an independent assessor and meet national standards.
On completion of this course you will be able to print your CPD certified certificate. This can be used as evidence for compliance, audit or CPD hours.